Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Getting Started



This blog is for all who wish to share the ideas and opinions of homeschooling. I am a mother of two boys. Our homeschool journey began two years ago when faced with a tough decision to keep the boys enrolled in a crowded parochial classroom or quit my job as the school librarian to homeschool. I am thankful for the outcome of the decision to homeschool. I am blessed to have the opportunity to stay home with my boys and share their educational experiences.

My educational background is that of a Florida certified teacher in Kindergarten through sixth grade, who skipped the classroom teaching experience in lieu of raising the boys. As a Navy wife on the move every two years, I found it more convenient to be a stay-at-home mom in the early childhood years. Both boys attended Catholic schools in the early elementary years and eventually, I found a dream job in the school's library. Reading has always been a passion of mine, but more so when the boys were young and I had a captive audience in which to read. Working in a school library is the most rewarding experience a book lover can have. Unfortunately, it had to end when I made the decision not to enroll the boys in the school when I learned that the oldest sons classroom would contain 34 students. I trusted the teachers and knew that he would survive the year, but that was not enough for me. In my heart, I knew there was a better way. It was an easy decision to make and I am thrilled to share my boys lives more fully.

I hope this blog will be a place for other homeschoolers to share important ideas and information. A place to commiserate, advise, support, exchange, and lift-up others who seek.

3 comments:

  1. We have been homeschooling for four years now and we love it. I just started doing an online curriculum which is awesome for our family now that they are getting older. Thank you for your nice comments about my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are very happy with your decision! This is just our 4th year homeschooling. Prior to that they went to great schools. Then we knew we were going to move (very long story but 3 moves in 2 years) again the private school wanted full tuition payment at the beginning of the year and wouldn't work with us monthly because they knew we were going to move. It was either take out an 18,000 loan or public school. The public schools were not an option in our mind. So that was the start of our homeschool. We've never looked back!!!! It all works out!!
    Saying HI from twitter this morning!!! @susieqtpies
    I fanned ya on networked blogs. I don't think your widget is working correctly!!
    Stop in at Scraps of Life and say HI!
    http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear peoples homeschooling stories. Each one is unique. It's also fascinating to connect with others on their blog sites and learn about other homeschooling lifestyles. I appreciate feedback on my posts.

    ReplyDelete